"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Thursday, February 5, 2009

De-Cluttering IS Therapeutic!

Thursday, February 5th--I'm am SOO serious about this! I have spent the last couple of weeks, and will be spending plenty more, de-cluttering my house. I pick a room and go through every little nook and cranny. With every item I ask myself: "Do I/we really need this?", "When was the last time I/we used this?" I've been paying attention to some of the professional organizers on TV for the last few years. Their advice: If you haven't used something in a year, get rid of it. For videos/games, if you haven't watched/played it in 2-3 years, get rid of it. If you haven't wore an item of clothing in 2 years, get rid of it. If you buy a new item of clothing, take an old item out.
I have been applying these tips and, WOW, it has been amazing. The change in my attitude and mood has been incredible! I still have good days and bad---or bad months (January, bleh!) but I feel "lighter". I love to be in my kitchen and open cupboards. I don't mind going into my closet. I understand how clutter can effect your mood now! I had the kids help me de-clutter their toys and we're getting rid of all the ones they don't play with anymore. There are LOTS. Next, the storage room needs to be conquered. I've started it and there's much more to do with a big pile of stuff to give away already. But it'll happen and I will love my storage room again!
With all the de-cluttering, I'm finding there's more space in our home---space to just breathe, not fill! And the cool thing about all of this, I have no desire to go out and purchase new things to fill the empty spaces. So when I say this has been therapeutic, I truly mean it! And that's a wonderful thing because this year I'm hoping to devote to improving myself and my familys well-being. Wish me luck, I'm on my way and feeling optimistic (knock on wood!)

4 comments:

Brittainey said...

I totally agree. I love to de-junk my home. It is in desperate need of it again. I think you may have inspired me to start. Ahh... clutter free space.

The Miller's said...

This is the exact thing that I need to be doing. It is just so hard to do because once I finish one thing and move on to the next the thing I just finished needs to be done again so that just depresses me and makes me want to stop trying. Gotta get over that and just persevere. Thanks for this! I think I'll bookmark this particular post of yours to look at again for inspiration!

Beth said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you. I am a de-cluttering freak! It stresses me out to have clutter. With 4 kids though, it is a constant battle. I turn the hangers around in my closet at the beginning of every year. When I wear an item, I turn the hanger the right way. At the end of the year, anything on a hanger that isn't turned goes to Goodwill.

Doney Days said...

I totally agree! I've been doing the same thing in the past month and still have a ways to go, but it makes me feel so good! Way to go Audra!