"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Monday, May 4, 2009

Way To Go, Elise!

Monday, May 4th--As Nate worked on the yard, Brady and Elise were riding around on their bikes tonight. I sat on the porch watching them and enjoying the nice evening. For a while now, we've been trying to encourage Elise to take her training wheels off and learn how to ride her bike with just two wheels. She hasn't been very willing until tonight. Of course, it took a little bribing (Nate offered to take her to the Chevron to get 3 treats) but she let Nate take the training wheels off. She didn't want me to help hold her seat while she peddled so I gave her some encouraging words to help her figure it out on her own. It didn't take long and she was finally riding on two wheels--at first with a fearful look on her face and then eventually, a huge smile. I was on the sidewalk jumping up and down (imagine that, I really was!) and cheering her on as loud as I could. It was an amazing sight to see! Based on all the other neighbor kids, Elise is a little late in learning how to ride on two wheels but, just like in every other major milestone in her life, it had to be in her own time and we've learned it's best to respect that about her rather than push her too much. We're SOOOO proud of her! She rode for a long time and then when it was time to come in, she asked if she could practice again tomorrow. I happily said, "YES!"
Brady was so amused by Elise riding on two wheels, he asked if we would take the training wheels off his bike too. There's plenty of 4-year-olds in our neighborhood that ride on two wheels so I took them off and let him try. He was willing to let Nate or I hold onto his seat as he peddled. Tonight just wasn't his night to get it down. He had trouble balancing and got frustrated so we called it a night. I know he's not giving up but it'll probably take a little more time for him to get the hang of it.
It was a great night! I'm so proud of both my kids. They are such a blessing and joy to us!
Below is video of Elise riding. For some reason, it turned out really bright. Not sure why but enjoy watching her first little "trek" riding on two wheels!