February 13th--Holy Schnickey's! The storm was INSANE! I drove to work at 4:15 pm and the storm was in full motion. Luckily, I only work about a 1/2 a mile away but still, visibility was maybe 20 feet. Very scary! I went home early because my last massage appointment was still stuck in traffic. Nate was on a business trip and after 2 different delays he landed at around 7:00 pm. He got in his compact car (with no 4WD) and set out to get home. At 10:30 pm, he made it to the round-about in Lehi and called home. I thought it would be best for him to just go the few blocks to his brothers house and spend the night. It's a good thing since the roads up to Eagle Mountain were closed. At 10:00 pm I got a call from a member of the bishopric to start a calling tree in our ward. The Stake President had been receiving calls from members of the stake saying children were still home alone because parents hadn't made it home yet. The calls I made were astonishing, most husbands were still not home. Fortunately, to my knowledge, all made it home safely---it just took a really long time! Nate made it home safely this morning. I gotta admit, I've never seen a storm like this before!
1 comment:
Yes, Nathan and I were stuck in this storm as well. I left my job around 5:00pm and just went straight to my parents house (about 1/2 a mile away) because my car is tiny and I knew it wasn't going to make it up to Eagle Mountain. I asked Nate to stop by my parents house and get me so we could brave the storm together. By this time we had already been told about the 16 car pile up on the main Eagle Mountain Road. Nate arrived around 6:30pm and we started on our Journey. We took the back roads into Eagle Mountain, visibility was come a go but we made it quickly to Redwood Road going North bound. We sat on Redwood Road for two hours (we literally moved 1/2 mile in those two hours the winds had to be at least 70 MPH) because the wind was so bad they wanted to make sure the roads were cleared properly and were only letting so many cars go at a time.I never realized how many people live in Eagle Mountain until I saw that huge line of cars! Nate and I walked in our front door around 8:30pm. We were lucky to know to avoid main street and SR-73 and thank goodness no one was killed in the 16 car pile up.
Post a Comment