"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Our First Trip to Lake Powell

Thursday-Monday, October 1st-5th--My sister and her husband, Alishia and Shad, bought into a time-share house boat at Bull Frog, in Lake Powell. We joined them for 4 days. The weather up in Northern Utah had been chilly so we were happy to get down there to enjoy 60's and 70's weather. We had yucky weather one day but every other day was great. My mom flew down for 2 weeks and came down with me and the kids. Nate, sadly, wasn't able to take time off work so he enjoyed a quiet home and a comfy bed--I was so jealous! The houseboat was small but we all fit and made it work. Shad and Alishia also brought their small boat so we could cruise the lake with speed and convenience. When we pulled up to the lake, Alishia and Samantha greeted us in the little boat, we loaded our gear and headed to the houseboat. The sleeping area was cramped and not so comfy but we knew our time was short and we'd be home to comfy beds in no-time so we tried to keep it positive. The houseboat was "parked" on the shore with plenty of sand and areas to explore. The kids LOVED making sand castles and digging trenches. I loved walking around in the soft sand and even brought some home. It was almost like powder! The final full day we were out on the sand and Shad decided to grace us with his presence---in a Speedo. Not the most flattering but he laughed and we laughed and he seemed to enjoy the joke of it all. Samantha, not so much. And, of course, I told him I'd post a pic of him on the blog so I can't disappoint! As the kids dug into the sand we noticed there was black sand underneath the red sand. Mom and dad like to pan for gold so my mom got a bowl and started to do just that. Then she got Elise into to and the two of them spent a long time looking. She didn't find anything but was pretty convinced there is probably gold there. When she called my dad, at home, he had to remind her that if, by some miracle, she found any gold she couldn't legally take it home because it's a State Park. Blast!
On the 2nd full day we spent it on the small boat exploring the lake. It was pretty amazing! The surrounding rock was just awe-inspiring. Our ultimate destination was Forbidding Canyon where there are petroglyphs and a rock "hut". We made it after taking a few wrong turns. There was a small hike up to the petroglyphs and rock hut. We wanted to do the hike but other boats were blocking our ability to park and make our way up. It was okay though. On our way to Forbidding Canyon, I noticed I had a full bladder, which I wasn't happy about. Shad had told everyone, rather than using the bathroom on the boat, we had to jump in the lake and pee. I was going to refuse and throw a tantrum till I got to use the bathroom on the boat (the water was cold!) when we noticed a floating port-o-potty in the entrance of Forbidding Canyon. Thank you!!Alishia asked who needed to go and EVERYONE said, "I do!". I think they all felt the same as I did! The port-o-potty smelled terrible but it beat the alternative! Traveling out of the canyon we stopped the boat and ate lunch. We headed back to the houseboat and stopped at the market on the way. The market had groceries and souvenirs. We stocked up on both and then headed back. It was a wonderful day!
All-in-all, we had a great trip. Shad and Jacob enjoyed fishing and catching Karp (sp?) then throwing them back in the water (I guess they don't taste good). When on the houseboat, we'd play games, watch movies and just hang out enjoying each others company. I got to snuggle with our favorite dog, Bohdee. Next year we'll probably travel there again and this time we'll bring comfy pads for the beds!
We all left on Monday and made it back home safe and sound. On the way back, mom, the kids and I stopped at my new favorite place: Cracker Barrel. I've heard from so many how awesome the store is so we stopped in and it was just that. I had to use a lot of self-control as I looked at all the fun things they had to offer. We didn't eat at the restaurant but I heard it's pretty yummy, maybe another time.





















1 comment:

Amanda said...

THE SPEEDO!!! Oh, Dad would be jealous. You know that's his dream to prance around in one on a cruise ship one day. He even does this dance that's horrifying to watch. That's hilarious.