"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Rock the Walk" & Fundraising

Saturday, August 14th--OY VEY!!!! This year I am doing it. I am finally participating in the Walk to Cure Diabetes. It's being held on Saturday, September 25th at Scera Park in Orem, Utah. This years theme is: "Rock the Walk". Brady's has had this disease for 3 1/2 years now and I just have no more excuses not to get involved. The walk involves teams raising money for research before-hand and then the walk is a celebration for the money raised and to raise awareness of Juvenile Diabetes. So what do I do? I freakin' volunteer myself as a team captain and my world has been pure chaos since! However, in many ways, it's been awesome! I've met some amazing people in my own community dealing with this disease. I've witnessed support from friends that aren't effected by this disease at all but love me and my family so much that they wanted to get involved too. It is truly touching. I feel very blessed.
My team has been meeting weekly to plan our fundraiser. We decided to do a community yard sale, bake sale and silent auction. We only had 3 weeks to plan it and, let me tell ya, it was intensely stressful. There was a lot of work to do. I discovered quite a bit more was involved than I ever expected--blanket insurance policies, speaking with city officials, newsletters, donations from businesses and individuals. A LOT and not so easy at times. By the week of the fundraiser, everyday I wanted to curl up in a ball and just cry. Too many things happened or were approved last minute, which I hate immensely. I got about 8 hours of sleep in 3 days. But, when all was said and done, we had an amazing experience the day of. I had plenty of people to help (Oh, my dear friends, words just cannot express how thankful I am to you!) and I set a goal to make $1,000.00 and we made $984.00. Awesome! Much of the bake sale didn't sell so some LDS missionaries got really lucky as well as those that helped out. The silent auction wasn't a huge hit but most things sold at a reasonable price. The weather and location were perfect. I enjoyed speaking with everyone. It was a success! Should I do another team next year, I think we'll do something different to fundraise but I'm pleased with how things turned out, overall.
Afterwards, my fellow goddesses, Kerri, Dawn & Heather, kidnapped me and took me away for the weekend. We ended up in Midway at Dawn's time-share condo. They decided to celebrate my birthday a month early. A while back we all discovered that none of us had ever had bachelorette parties when we got married so they threw me a bachelorette party. We had some pretty insane fun! (No details and no pictures! ha ha) I also got to catch up on some sleep. It was much appreciated! I feel so loved!
My team has a team name that is awesome! We are Team A1C/DC (a little diabetic twist on the rock band name--fitting for this years theme). There are quite a few peeps on the team and we've raised almost $2,400.00. WAHOO! The goal is to raise $3,000.00. There's a month left.
My inspiration for getting more involved with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation can be found here. Never have I seen more devotion and committment to finding a cure for a disease (cancer). The Huish family lost their precious angel, Sadie, but their fight for a cure for brain cancer (DIPG) continues on. I'm so proud the Huish family and their extended family are on my team. They are the reason my desire to fight for a cure for Juvenile Diabetes was jump-started.
If you want to learn more or PLEASE donate, go to: http://walk.jdrf.org/ You can do a search for our team and the individuals by typing in the team name: A1C/DC and Utah state.
We're excited to Rock the Walk in a month! Please come to Scera Park, in Orem, Utah, at 9:30 am, on September 25th. You can cheer our team on! If that doesn't entice you, Taco Bell is one of the sponsors.........so is KFC. ; )

No comments: