"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brady's First Day of Pre-School

Wednesday, August 20th--Much like Elise, Brady was pretty wired this morning. He got up early and must have asked 20 different times when we were going to leave to go to "his pre-school". I sent Elise off to school, jumped in the shower, got Brady dressed and then we were off. On the way, Brady and I had a nice chat about how to behaive in his class and to listen to Mrs. Peterson. We pulled up to Learning Dynamics and saw nothing but chaos in the parking lot. There were cars, parents, and children everywhere. Some of the parents parked a little on the retarded side so it made it difficult for us all to squeeze in. Anyhoo, I walked Brady into his classroom where Mrs. Peterson was there greeting us with a big smile. I love that she and Brady already have a relationship due to the time we spent with her going over his diabetic needs. Brady seems to like her a lot. She's due to have her baby in 3 weeks so she'll be gone for a little while and then be back around Halloween, I believe. We were also able to meet the lady who will be filling in for her and she seems quite nice as well.
Mrs. Peterson asked Brady to find his name on a nametag, posted on the door, and he did so then she put it on his chest. From there, he was not a happy person. He wanted that nametag off and wouldn't go play with the kids until it was off. In typical "desperate times" fashion, I convinced Brady to keep the nametag on and then, when I picked him up, we'd go get a treat. After that he was good to go and went over to play with the other kids in his class. He looked at me and said, "You can go now, mom." I gave him a kiss and a hug and then I left. Surprisingly, I didn't get emotional this time. I drove home and realized I had 2 hours all to myself. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do? Today, I chose to be lazy. Usually, when he's at pre-school and Elise is in school I'll either be cleaning or exercising.
I picked Brady up at 11:15 am and he seemed so much happier, even with the nametag still on! He loved his first day of pre-school and really enjoyed meeting new friends and spending time with Mrs. Peterson. He said Mrs. Peterson sang one of our favorite pre-school songs "Days of the Week" (sung to the tune of the Adaams Family theme song). At the end of class he got a Hershey's kiss from his teacher and then we left. He was content with that being his special treat for wearing his nametag the whole time. As a comfort, for me, I checked Brady's glucose level when we got home and it was perfect. A sure sign all will be well and, for the most part, his diabetes won't be an issue for pre-school. Hooray!

2 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

That parking lot is an accident waiting to happen! Take it from me, park in the parking lot just to the west of Learning Dynamics...behind the strip mall. It's not as crazy over there.

samlyndseyfalkner said...

How fun! What do you do w/ the house all to yourself? LOL!!!