"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Elise Has Created A Monster!


Thursday, September 4th---Oy vey! Lets back track a little. I believe I planted flowers in early June. As the flowers began to thrive and do well I noticed a little plant growing in and had no clue what it was. It didn't look like a weed so I decided to give it a chance and see what it would produce. Slowly, at first, it was growing and my hunch was that the leaves looked kind of like pumpkin, watermelon or squash leaves. How could it be? "No way!", I said. My aunt, Maureen, came over for a visit. She looked at the odd plant and concluded it is a watermelon plant. Wha, What! Elise happened to be listening in and said, "Wow, my watermelon seeds are finally growing!" Huh? When did this happen? She told us she was eating watermelon last year and took the seeds and planted them. So we have this watermelon plant that I decided to let grow, just for kicks and giggles. Well now, this plant is out of control! We've cut it back a couple of times and it just grows back and attaches its vines to anything it can. I directed some of the vine up onto the porch. Two weeks ago I was sick of this pest-of-a-plant and decided to give it one more week to produce any kind of fruit (there were plenty of yellow flowers on it). It did not disappoint. We now have two watermelons growing, side-by-side. The larger one has grown quite rapidly and we hope it'll be done growing soon. Strangely, the vine on the porch is producing the fruit so I'm wondering if there is a connection. Weird, indeed.
Elise is tickled at the sight of her watermelons! Every day they get bigger. It's been fun to watch and experience but we did have a talk with her and pointed out areas that are okay to plant seeds---moms flower garden is not one of them! We'll be sure to take pics of a ripe watermelon being cut into. It won't be long now, that thing is already HUGE! I asked Elise to pose with her pride and joy but she said she didn't want to. She's worried about all the bees. Poor girl!

1 comment:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Haha! That cracks me up! Before I forget, next time I see you remind me to tell you my theory on why Eagle Mountain is a hot bed for type 1 diabetes.