Tuesday, September 16th--For a couple of weeks now I've been following a story that has made international headlines. I first noticed this story on KSL.com. It is the story of Stephanie and Christian Nielson. They are parents of 4 young children, living in Mesa, AZ. Stephanie's family lives in Provo, UT. Her parents are local politicians. In the middle of August, Christian took his wife along on his final flight for certification to be a pilot. I can imagine how exciting that flight began but, sadly, it ended tragically. The plane crashed, killing flight instructor Doug Kinneard. Christian was burned over 30% of his body and Stephanie over 80% of her body, both lived. Both remain in medically induced comas as the specialists at Maricopa Hospital Burn Unit try to repair the extensive damage. Internally, they are doing well so the focus is on the massive burns and surgically placing skin grafts where necessary. Their 4 young children are living with Stephanie's sisters in Provo.I feel I've become, almost, obsessed with this story. I want to read about updates every day. I want to know they're doing better and want to know their children are doing well. I don't know this family, never met them. I've read Stephanie's blog: http://www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/ to get to know her, Christian and their family. Her sister, Courtney, has kept an amazingly detailed blog so the world can know how these two are doing, and their children. The blog is: http://blog.cjanerun.com/ Stephanie's siblings have been featured on the "Today Show". They've also been mentioned in "People Magazine". KSL does updates and so do many other news stations. Every time I read the updates I find myself asking, "What can I do? How can I help?" Their medical bills are already in the millions and will continue to grow. Doctors predict their care will continue for another 3 months. I believe I heard their insurance would cover up to a million in hospital costs so their stuck with a few more million to cover on their own. I could donate money but how would $100.00 help when bills are in the millions? Many people have been doing benefits. That sounds great but where to begin? I know the family has received many donations but still not even close to what's needed.
So here I am giving a "Shout out!" to everyone. What to do? Who would like to help me help them? Has anyone else been following this story?
Every day I think of the Nielson's. Often I shed tears. I think about their children and how much they must miss their mom and dad. I'm sure they long to be in the arms of their parents again, being held, cuddled and told how much they are loved. I pray for this familly and hope for the very best outcome. Check out these blogs, you will be uplifted and touched and hopefully, you'll understand my sincere desire to do something and want to do something too.

1 comment:
I've heard about this story too. So sad!
Post a Comment