"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Little Super Hero!

Saturday, September 6th--I've been wanting to get photos of him in his new, super-cool, cape for a few weeks now. Being a super hero is quite personal, and private, to Brady so every time I've asked him to let me take photos he's not very willing. Today, with a little bribbery, he let me.
In the beginning of August I called up Grandma Rosemary and asked her a special favor for Brady. He's been quite into Buzz Lightyear (as most boys become interested at one time or another) and Woody, from "Toy Story". He plays with the two every day, taking them on all the adventures Brady's little imagination can come up with (I love to secretly listen!). I got an idea to have a cape made for Brady so he could join in on super-hero adventures. I asked him what he thought about it and he LOVED the idea. I called up Grandma Rosemary and asked her to make him a special super-hero cape. She's great at sewing and I knew she would do a wonderful job plus add lots of love to her creation. She asked what color and so I asked Brady and he said "Buzz Lightyear!". So then I asked him, "Green or Purple?" He said he likes purple. Yes, we know Buzz Lightyear does not have a cape but who gives a rats patoot!
A week later Grandma Rosemary had his cape all done and presented it to him. He wouldn't even touch it! What the......?!?! We were worried he rejected it without ever even trying it on to fully gain what super powers it has in store. Once we got home he grabbed that cape and put it on and was off searching for super adventures! Phew! Again, he needed his privacy, LOL!
He loves his cape. He'll run from front door to back door with his arm out, pretending to fly. It's so adorable! Even Elise has snuck a few moments with the amazing, purple cape.
Grandma Rosemary and I thought the cape needed some dressing up so I'm going to find some space stencils and green paint. I know Brady's super-hero cape will be used for a long time---and maybe he'll go public with it one of these days!
Truth be told, Brady is my super-hero. He endures so much on a day to day basis with finger pokes and shots galore. He deals with high and low glucose levels as we try and continue to figure out this disease. Once we think we've got it down the rules of the game change. He never asks "why" and rarely has a day that he's fed up with it all. He is still full of laughter and loves entertaining anyone he can. One day there will be a cure for Type 1 Diabetes and he will raise his super-hero arms triumphantly! And we're optimistic that day isn't too far away.

No comments: