Thursday, September 11th--It is the 7th anniversary of that horrific day. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember, even living so far away from it all, how so very personal the tragedies felt to me. I didn't know anyone who lost their lives but cried and mourned.Nate and I were waking up for work. Our alarm is the radio. We tend to lay in bed for a few minutes as we wake up. The radio station was set on "The Chunga and Mister show" on "107.5, The End". Usually these two are just a barrel of laughs but on this day Nate and I could tell something was wrong. We turned on the TV and the
second tower had just been hit. We both wanted to just stay home. What did this mean? Were we at war? Was this only the beginning? We got ready for work and reluctantly parted ways. I brought my little 13-inch TV to work. I knew the law firm I worked for wouldn't mind. I can tell you very little work gone done that day for our bankruptcy clients. We were grateful for the few phone calls received. None of us wanted to deal with whiny people not getting their way, something we dealt with daily. I walked up to the 3rd floor of our building (a realty office) to get a soda and found that the reception on the TV's was remarkable compared to my fuzzy 13-inch. I hadn't realized I had been up there watching for over a 1/2 hour till my boss came up to get a soda. I apologized to him and he put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Stay here as long as you want."
A million thoughts went through my mind that day along with plenty of panic as to whether or not our country was safe anymore. The most important thought on my mind was the life I carried inside of me. I was pregnant with my first child, Elise. I was only 3 months along. Not knowing what to expect next, I questioned what kind of world I was bringing this little baby into. "Heavenly Father, keep my family safe."
The day seemed to last forever. I believe we all left early that day. We couldn't concentrate--that would kind of be the case for the next few days. I went home to a eerily empty house. Nate had school right after work so I wouldn't see him till 9:30 pm. I sat on the couch all night just flipping channels. Around 7:00 pm, I just couldn't take anymore news. I turned to KBYU. There was a live concert going on at the Tabernacle on Temple Square. The prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, spoke. He wasn't on the program but his words were so comforting. The things he said were what I needed to hear that night, I'm many felt the same. When he finished speaking I broke into uncontrollable sobs. My
sweet kitty, Bart, found me. She did something I will never forget. She layed down next to me and put her paw on my forearm. She didn't move it till I was able to calm down. Bart use to always find me in my moments of tears. I miss her so much, she died of cancer in February, 2006.
Nate came home a little early. His professor told everyone to leave and go be with their families. I don't remember much after Nate got home. We went to bed. I was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep that night but then I remembered the words of the prophet and was comforted.
My brother-in-law, Casey, was suppose to return from his mission, from Brazil, that week. We would not see him come home for another 1 1/2 weeks. Nate and I had tickets to Hawaii scheduled to fly out on September 18th. It was to be for my birthday weekend. We were too terrified to fly so we cancelled our trip. Little did we understand it would probably be the safest time to fly, only a week after the attacks.
In the middle of October I flew home to Washington to see my family. It was a great visit but
everything was still so fresh. The flight back to Utah was awkward. An arab man was on the flight, close to front, where I was sitting. The feeling in that plane was incredibly tense. It was the most quiet flight I have ever been on. I know the arab man felt it. Large men stared him down as if to say, "Don't even make a move." I felt bad for him but couldn't help but feel the same.
The wound is still fresh for this country. I pray my children will never have to experience something like this.

1 comment:
I can't beleive how similar our 9/11 experiences are. Weird we both listened to Chunga and Mister that morning, we both had to go to work, we both watched it on tv at work, we both had trips to Hawaii planned. We are just meant to be friends! PS I heart Goo Goo Dolls too!
Post a Comment