"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Little Braniac!

Thursday, January 22nd--Elise and I met with her teacher, Mrs. Mair, last week for her 2nd semester SEP conference. Mrs. Mair is about to have a baby so she held hers earlier than the rest of the school. We met in the classroom. I enjoyed it this way because, usually, all the teachers are in the gym and you sit down with your childs teacher for the conference. It is annoyingly loud due to all the families and the children running everywhere, it drives me crazy!
Well, good news again! Mrs. Mair told us that Elise has met all the goals set for her this year, way ahead of schedule. She's reading at a 3rd/4th grade level and her spelling has been so incredible that Mrs. Mair has gone through the list of words and has no more to give her--she's mastered them all! Her math is also beyond a 1st grade level and we've noticed, at home, that she's constantly wanting to learn more and more different types of math. She is LOVING trying to figure out multiplecation and division (and who better to learn from than her accountant dad!). Brady's jumped on the bandwagon too, he is learning addition and subtraction and how to spell, etc. Now we need to work with her a little more at home and create challenges for her as there is a concern she might begin to get bored. We have her writing book reports for her favorite books. She's excited to have started the "Disney Fairies" series, something her cousin, Kayla, got her interested in.
Maybe this post seems like a mom boasting and bragging about her intelligent daughter. It's probably a little of that but more than anything, I am just constantly amazed at both of my childrens abilities and desires to want to learn and be educated. It is never-ending. It has become an example to me to brush up on some things but also push myself to be more educated and enlightened. There may come a day when I don't have the answers to all their many questions but at least we can work on it together and we all can learn. I feel so very, very blessed. I love my little sponges! Great work Elise!

4 comments:

HeaddaMarie said...

I totally know what you mean about SEP's in the gym...and didn't it used to be Parent-Teacher Conferencese? And they used to be in the teachers classroom...which is nice cause you can see all the things going on in their. Although, where CJ is going to school his was in his class...but maybe it's just his teacher...hmmmm...

Lindsay and Mike said...

Good job Elise! :)

Amanda said...

I think they'd prefer if you said, "I love my little Spongebobs"

The Miller's said...

We've been reading those fairy books for almost two years now, they're fun!