Sunday, January 4th--I wish this post was a little more upbeat but it won't be, warning you ahead of time. Nope, not announcing any new developments in the baby-making cause--just that nothing has happened in that department yet for us.The neighbors on Gullane Road (the street I live on) have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby-boy Alonzo. His due date is January 1st. He decided to stay in a few more days making his mother and 3 sisters crazy with impatience--dad seems to play it cool but we know he's just as anxious. Well, yesterday Kathy's water broke and she spent all of yesterday and into this morning in labor. She noticed some bleeding this morning and, rather than the home birth that was planned, rushed to the hospital. The staff in the ER put a fetal heart monitor on her tummy and could not find a heartbeat--mysteriously, a part of the placenta had torn away from her uterus and cut off oxygen to the baby........he died. She delivered him a few hours later.
The family informed one of the neighbors before church and then word traveled fast during church. I was asked to sub in Primary, normally I don't mind but today I could barely stand it. A few of my neighbors went to the hospital during church and were pulling up as we were getting home from church. They shared their tender experience with raw emotions, triggering the ones I had been holding inside just so I could get through the Primary lesson for the precious 5 year-olds I taught today.
Kathy, Tony and all of their family were in a hospital room with baby-boy Alonzo (name TBD) being passed around to those that wanted to hold him. He appeared to be asleep and still warm to the touch. I wish I could have been there but felt another person, who is not family, in the room might be too much.
I could never begin to imagine what emotions and thoughts are going through their minds. Everyone is asking, "What can I do?", "How can I help?" I'm not sure there is much any of us can do but just keep being their friends and support them, as always, while they cope, grieve and ponder on Heavenly Father's plan for their family--if anything, just hug them a little tighter and longer, smile a little brighter. Yes, baby-boy Alonzo is guaranteed a place in Celestial Glory, he will be reunited with his family again, someday.
For now, I pray the Alonzo family can move forward and find reasons to celebrate and be joyful. I pray their memories of this day will not just be tragic but tender and touching. A gift, a beautiful face to the precious angel that will watch over all of them the rest of their lives, reminding them to do their best to make sure they are reunited in the Celestial Kingdom as an eternal family. The tears flow as I type this. Life on Gullane Road will be quiet and solemn for a while, we are all sad, we mourn and ponder our own paths in life and all that is in store. Fortunately, Spring will be here before we know it and life renewed. Hopefully, new life for my family and, with courage and strength, new life for the Alonzo family.
*Update (1/5/09): Kathy & Tony named him Phoenix. There will be a grave-side service for family. I was able to see pictures of him today---an absolute beautiful angel with dark, curly hair (just like his dad). They are doing as well as to be expected, still very numb. A volunteer at the hospital made molds of his hands and feet and cut a little of his hair to place in an envelope as well as include a gold ring that they fit to the size of his little finger. I am always so amazed at how well-prepared hospitals are for whatever circumstance comes along, they treated the family and little Phoenix so amazingly well. Phoenix was cared for so reverently as he was cleaned and wrapped snuggly. Later on, when the nurse came to take him away she gave Kathy & Tony the blanket and onesie he had on and then took a white blanket and wrapped it around him. The family said their last good-byes and then the nurse carefully took him out.
**For those of you that know the Alonzo family and wish to know more, please feel free to call me. And PLEASE keep them in your prayers. If you're attending the temple, please remember to include them on the prayer roll. Thank you so much!

3 comments:
My heart is breaking for this family that I don't even know. How blessed we are and they are to know they will be with their sweet baby boy again.
That makes me so sad to hear that news. I had no idea and we left church early! Let me know if there is anything I can do.
This story broke my heart. Lots of prayers for this family.
Yes, yes, yes... lots of hugs and sharing of tears. Let them talk about it. Let them grieve as long as they want. I also highly recommend a book titled "Gone Too Soon".
Once again many, many prayers for the family.
Post a Comment