"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Newest Face of Diabetes

Tuesday, March 3rd--In just 3 weeks we'll be coming up on the 2nd anniversary of Brady's Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis. It's been on my mind a lot and today we got some news that absolutely shocked us. My sister-in-law, Marissa, called me around 2:30 pm and told me that she was at Primary Children's Medical Center with her barely 2-year-old daughter, Darci, and Darci had just been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. As soon as she told me I just wanted to be there with her and my brother-in-law, Bret to give them comfort. I'm so grateful she allowed me to. I packed up the kids, took them to my sisters house (thank you, Alishia, for being so willing at the last minute!) and headed up. I arrived a little after 4:15 and they were still in the ER waiting for a room to open up. Poor little Darci just looked so miserable. She had an IV in and whimpered at any little thing as she clung to either parent. My heart just broke and was brought to tears many times over while I was there. This is the exact same age Brady was diagnosed and all those memories of our experience came flooding back. I just hurt for them and what they will be going through the next few days and months as they adjust to this new "normal". On top of this terrible news, Marissa is coping with a high-risk pregnancy and had just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week. Darci is the youngest, she has two older brothers, Christopher (6) and Xander (4). Baby Eliza is due in May but will probably come earlier.
This is not a disease I would wish upon anyone, especially the sweetest, most gentle little two-year old girl you've ever met! It's not fair and only our Father in Heaven understands all the reasons, especially at what is already a difficult time for their family. But Nathan and I are thankful to have the knowledge that we do and that we can help out whenever needed. Bret and Marissa had a lot of questions and I hope I was able to put their minds at ease a little. Marissa was also able to talk to Brady's pediatric endocrinologist, Dr. Mike Swinyard, tonight and it seems he was able to help out too. He's pretty awesome at doing that! To prepare them for this disease, Primary Childrens Medical Center is the best. We had such an amazing experience during Brady's hospital stay and they will have that too---I had already noticed that the few hours I was there tonight.
As I was about to leave the hospital tonight I held Darci for a moment. She put her head on my shoulder and I just wept again but I also had a feeling in my heart that she will amaze us all with her strength and ability to endure--much like her brave cousin did almost 2 years ago and continues to do so.
Please keep them in your prayers! To Bret, Marissa, and Darci---you are all strong and I know our Father in Heaven will bless you and comfort you in your time of need. He will reveal to you courage and strength you never understood you had. With this courage and strength you will have the ability to adapt and make diabetes a part of your family's life without it consuming your life. You need not feel alone, we are here for you at any time. We love you all!

1 comment:

Marissa said...

You made me cry! Thank you for all the love and support. And for loving Darci like we do.