Monday-Friday, June 7-11--We've lived in our house for over 5 years now. Throughout that time I've worked on decorating rooms little by little. I love, LOVE decorating. I'm totally amateur at it but still enjoy it very much. When I get an idea I'm really excited about, I want to do it NOW and can usually do so because it usually only requires a cheap coat of paint and

moving furniture. Elise's room was a totally different story. Her room is one of the last I've tackled because of what was required to do it. As she's getting older, I also wanted to do a "style" that would last for a while, which meant no fairies or princesses. She and I talked for a while as to what she would like to have in her room--I threw out all sorts of ideas and she decided she liked the idea of doing a tea party-ish/Spring-ish "theme". All the designer shows say buy one focal point item and base your entire room around it. We were in Disney World last year and I saw an Alice in Wonderland tea pot, tea cup and saucer. For Disney price standards, they were cheap. I showed

them to Elise and asked if she'd like them for her room and she got really excited and said "YES!" We based the room around these items and it worked great (they are on the center of the wall shelf with a picture of her in her baptism dress)! She and I went shopping throughout this last year for items that matched and got really lucky to come upon clearance and sales at many of the craft stores. (to those family members that think this room was all about me, not so, Elise helped pick almost everything out!)
We decided, after school was out, it was time to do her room. I thought beadboard and a wall shelf, all across one of the walls, would look so cute. It seemed an easy enough idea too----not even close! My neighbor, Justin,

offered to put the beadboard and wall shelf up. First, I brought home a bunch of different shades of blue to paint the wall above the beadboard. Elise and I compared the colors to the tea pot and a few other blue things she has and decided on a color. I went and got the paint and painted the upper half of the wall. Justin came in the next day. What was suppose to be a 2 day project ended up being a 5 day project because of our evil home builder (don't EVER buy from Centex Homes!). Elise's walls were uneven---BIG TIME! It wouldn't have been such a big deal if we were just putting a coat of paint on the wall but the beadboard had to be cut and re-cut to fit the uneven walls. Justin also had to try and make the drywall even, which meant

plenty of patch-up. He got it finished and then it was my turn to spackle, sand, caulk and then paint. It took a long time but the finished product is so beautiful! Elise absolutely loves her room! There are still some things that need to be finished--putting up pictures, curtains, painting the door/closet doors, and changing the light fixture but that'll happen soon.
I'm so glad it's finished! Now what project to do next? There's extra beadboard so we might do the kids bathroom one of these days. It seems that it'll be easy enough but I've learned that's usually not the case with this house!
No comments:
Post a Comment