Wednesday, April 21st--Today we had some pretty crazy weather--heavy wind, rain, and hail. Brady was downstairs in the family room and Nate was checking on him. He noticed something moving behind the curtains of one of the window wells in the family room. Sometimes we see mice or voles in the window wells so he didn't think much of it. Then he opened the curtains......

A big, freakin raccoon! Nate shouted up to me to come downstairs. I didn't want to see another

mouse or vole so I said "No." He told it was something different. So I came down and couldn't believe this big raccoon was in our window well! As I was coming down I could hear Brady and Elise pounding on the window to get the raccoon to attempt to get out. Not very smart, so I told them to stop. The raccoon seemed scared and tired. We think he jumped in when the weather got bad. I thought, for sure, he would hiss and snap at us being next to the window but he was curious instead and just kept watching us. I called Animal Control to report the raccoon and they told me it was a pest problem so we'd need to call a pest control service and pay for someone to come out. I don't think so! So Nate went out, into the pouring rain, and put a board in the well and coaxed the scared raccoon out. Once it was out it bolted into the huge open field next to our street.

We let as many neighbors know as we could that this could happen to them as well. Then I realized that the kids think raccoons are sweet little animals, after this experience. Luckily, one of my favorite shows is "Billy, the Exterminator". I put on an episode where he captures a raccoon from a house. The raccoon is hissing, snapping and trying to bite Billy. I think both of the kids got the picture and won't be going near a raccoon no matter how cute them seem! What a crazy day, indeed!
1 comment:
Oh my goodness! How crazy! I didn't know we even had racooons around here! Mike used to have a racoon as a pet when he was younger that they raised from baby-stage. Crazy, crazy, crazy!
Post a Comment