"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Brady's 1st Day of Kindergarten

Wednesday, September 1st--A week before we met with the school nurse and Brady's teacher, Ms. Sorensen to go over his diabetic needs. I pat myself on the back for not getting emotional. Having a young child with a complicated disease makes these kind of milestones very difficult to handle emotionally. Knowing that we were turning over certain responsibility to school staff had me in knots. The school nurse is only there once a week. We found out a 504 aid had been hired and her job was to monitor the 6 diabetics and those with other health problems throughout the day. I was happy to find out this is a person I know and she is reliable and dedicated. Brady has to test himself once while at school so she comes down to monitor him and help him if he needs a snack.
Our meeting was productive and I was on my way to achieving peace of mind. I spent a couple of months during the last school year asking various aids, teachers and parents who they would recommend I request for his teacher. Everyone I asked said only one teacher, Ms. Sorensen. She is an amazing teacher. Very loving and truly a sweet, kind-hearted woman (I'm so fixing her up with my BIL, Kip! ha ha). After meeting with her, I know why everyone recommended her and I know she'll be a great teacher for Brady for all of his needs, physically and educational.
Brady's first day of Kindergarten we got there a few mintues early and he got to play on the playground. We were happy to see a few kids he knows, including lil' miss Rylie--his "girlfriend" from his first year of pre-school. She sits right next to him in class. Ms. Sorensen had a big smile on her face and greeted everyone happily and with excitement. There is an aid, Anabis, in Brady's class for another student with special needs. We're happy that we know her too--she's even on our diabetes walk team! Anabis will watch over him as well. Angels everywhere for my little guy! I didn't even cry!

No comments: