"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Saturday, October 2, 2010

We ROCKED the WALK!

Saturday, September 25th--WHAT A DAY!!! This day has been so anticipated for so long. I was so happy when it finally came. My team, Team A1C/DC, was awesome! Our official team count is 63 and we made over $3,500.00!!!!! We exceeded the team goal of $3,000.00. I am incredibly grateful for so many that wanted to support this most-noble cause by either donating or participating on this team. So many of my team-mates joined up because they love us and Brady and that touches my heart greatly. I am surrounded by some of the most amazing friends, it's humbling to say the least. At Brady's last endocrinologist appointment I convinced his doctor, a fellow Type 1 Diabetic and Darci's doctor as well, Dr. Mike Swinyard (picture on the right), to attend the walk and cheer us on--we delivered a team t-shirt to him. Not only did he show up, wearing the shirt, but he brought his family and walked with us. He has been such an amazing example and a person that has given me much peace of mind throughout the, almost, 4 years Brady has dealt with his diabetes. Needless to say, I cried many tears of joy today!
The day of the walk we got to Scera Park, in Orem, around 8:15 am. The place was already set-up and full of fellow walkers. Partyland provided all the games, prizes, and activities for free. Several other companies provided food and drink for free. It was so amazing. When we hit the $2,000.00 mark in our fundraising we earned a team tent. The team tent was a place for us all to hang out and congregate together. It was pretty small for our 60 team-mates but there was plenty of shade. Next year we'll bring some additional pop-up awnings. My sister, Alishia, offered to get some donuts from one of the best donut places around so I gave her some money and she brought 4 dozen donuts. They were VERY good and our team enjoyed them! I encouraged my team to dress up like Rock Stars to go with the theme of this years walk: Rock the Walk. They came through! Holy moly, beyond my expectations! There were wigs, tattoo sleeves, make-up, netted gloves, colored hairspray galore, torn and tattered shirts and pants, bandanas, head-bands, hats--WOW! My awesome friend, Eric, dressed like Slash from Guns N Roses. It was so cool! (Nate looked so hot with that bandana around his head, I'm gonna be asking him to wear that more often!)
At 9:30 am the walk started. It was a 5K. The walk seemed pretty long and choosing black team shirts was probably not the best idea for this warm day but we made it and felt triumphant. Along the route was many pictures of children/teens. Next to their pics was their name, age and date of diagnosis. Both, Brady and my niece, Darci were amongst them. As we neared the end we had not seen Brady's yet. He was getting worried. Finally, we found him at the very end. He was so happy!
After we got back from the walk we ate lunch and then the kids set out for some more activities. While they played I mingled with my team-mates and various other people participating. It was such a great day! I will never forget it and knowing that we are working towards a cure to this disease. The Utah County goal was to make $195,000.00--we made $198,000.00!!!! Had our team not participated this year, they would not have made their goal. Again, so proud of my team! I know so many, including myself, worked hard to achieve and exceed our goal.
Next year, we are doing this again. I have a co-captain ready to serve and we plan on doubling our efforts!!!
On Friday, October 1st we held a team celebration dinner. Many of my dedicated team-mates showed up again for some delicious soup, bread, veggies and desserts. We had a great night! I got emotional many times being so thankful for my team. My dear friends, neighbors and fellow team-mates came to help me set-up and then clean-up afterwards. My heart is officially full and my gratitude so great!
We will continue to fight the good fight and pray that all our efforts and commitment produces a cure for Juvenile Diabetes soon!

No comments: