"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Flooring and Anxiety Attacks Like No Other!

Tues-Fri., November 30th-December 3rd--We got new flooring! WAHOO! When we first bought our house we decided on the standard carpet with an upgraded pad. Over time our carpet has not held up well which has become really frustrating. Carpet cleaners only made it look worse (still have yet to find the perfect carpet cleaner!). I simply began to hate our carpet.....A LOT! I new it would be costly so asking Nate to invest that kind of money was out of the question.....until....... Nate discovered a finance company that was offering refinancing on our home at a 3.875% rate. Holy moly, that's awesome! We went for it but I begged him to take some of our equity and get new flooring. He reluctantly agreed while I shouted for joy! When we found out our rate would go up to 4.15% should we pull money from equity Nate didn't want to do that anymore. Shucks! We still did the refinance at the lower rate and, instead, we cashed out some stock market money that he's had since before we got married. Some of it went to the new flooring and the bigger chunk will go to a new car for him next year. So we both get something we really are wanting--sweet!
Originally, I wanted to do hard wood floors throughout the main floor and re-carpet the bedrooms and front sitting room. After asking around, laminate seemed the better choice as far as upkeep. We've had laminate in our kitchen and dining area since we bought the house and I've loved it very much. It's done well with our family too! Doing laminate and re-carpetting didn't fit into our budget so we just did the laminate. My neighbors, James & Meredith, helped out a lot. Meredith and I went to some flooring businesses and she helped me pick out the right style. Then James did the ordering and found a guy to lay the laminate down. The day before, James came over and tore up the carpet, laminate and tile in the entryway. Come to find out, that upgraded pad we paid for was not there--it was the standard crap! (Thanks again Centex Homes--at least you're predictable!) We spent 4 days in cramped quarters with furniture in every bedroom--much of it in the master bedroom. Talk about claustrophobic!
Our installer, Tyler, did a fabulous job! I would love to recommend him to anyone. Just a really nice guy and was very professional in his work. He didn't seem to get annoyed when we had to walk around him. Friday, as he put up the baseboard, I went around and caulked and spackled while he finished the rest of the flooring. I was pretty amazed at how easy that all went. James came back over to fix the carpet seams and the finished product is so beautiful! We hope to do the re-carpet job in the next year or two but in the meantime we are going to enjoy our new floors. It's so interesting to see how this flooring seems to open our floorplan options up a little more--which is great for me!
Right from the start, I was having massive anxiety. I think it was a combination of things, not just the flooring being installed. I would wake up very early in the morning with chest constriction, back aches and just feeling miserable. It lasted almost throughout the whole week, regardless of what I tried to help it, and then I seemed to get food poisoning or some kind of weird flu at the end of the week. That zapped my energy and made it difficult to get the house back in order once the floors were done. Thank goodness for a husband that was willing to take care of me and help out! We got the furniture moved in and then Nate and the kids were able to put up the family Christmas tree. So glad it's done and we can enjoy it and the rest of the holiday season!

1 comment:

Lindsay and Mike said...

It looks great! Good job! We had laminate in our old house (before we put down the heated tile) and it was always really easy to take care of. I have hardwood throughout most of the main floor of my house & it is definately more tempermental. Oh well.