Thursday, October 2nd--I've been wanting to get my hands on this book for a few months now! I saw Elissa Wall on "Oprah" a while back. She talked about the book and her horrific experiences being forced to be married at 14 years-old while growing up in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS). I've always been curious about this religion. It is a break-off of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons). This book explains a lot about the religion and the pros and cons of the religion. Much of the current downside of the religion has to do with leaders (Warren Jeffs) making strict rules and strict punishments that very few can live up to so people are being "kicked out" of the religion and their established FLDS towns.This book is AMAZING! I've had it on hold, at the library, for 2 months and it finally became available. It took me less than a week to finish it, much of the chunk being finished in the last few days. I recommend it to anyone. The one thing I came away with, after reading this book, is how grateful I am for my freedoms. I'm grateful for religious beliefs that allow me to date, fall in love with, and choose my spouse. I'm grateful that things like "reassignment" don't exist in the LDS church (you'll have to read about it!). I'm grateful for being a parent that will teach my children my beliefs and testimony but also that they have the right to choose what "works" for them. I truly hope my kids will continue to learn, grow and develop testimonies of the LDS church, just like I have, but if they decide otherwise they will know I still love them and won't judge them for that, let alone cast them away and never make contact with them again.
Read this book, if you haven't already. It's excellent! It won't disappoint.........at least it didn't for me! If you read it or have already done so, please let me know what you thought about it.

1 comment:
Sounds like an interesting read..I might have to check that one out!
Post a Comment