"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Elise's 1st Day of 2nd Grade

Thursday, August 20th--I'm so thankful this year wasn't nearly as emotional as last. I was able to drop Elise off and say "goodbye" without breaking down into tears. Her teacher is Mrs. Simpson. She gets a kick out of her name since "The Simpsons" is a show Nate loves so much (obsessed is a good word too!). We were able to meet Mrs. Simpson at an open house the day before. She is new to Pony Express Elementary. She is very nice and her personality reminds me much of Mrs. Mair, Elise's amazing 1st grade teacher. Elise and I found Mrs. Mair at the open house and she assured us Elise is getting a very nice and wonderful teacher. The only thing I don't like is that Elise's classroom is in a portable this year. I've never been a fan of portables (really, peeps, year round school would solve that problem and I'm am very much for it!) so I don't like the thought of Elise being in one. I just think of her having to go to the bathroom, it's 15 degrees outside, and she has to walk outside to get to the main building to use the bathroom. Ug!
I am excited for 2nd grade and I know Elise is too. She has 3 neighbor friends (one is Adeline and she bikes with us to and from school along with her sister, Savana) in her class, two of which sit next to her. Oddly enough, no one from her class last year is in her class this year.
I packed Elise a big lunch and, just like last year, put a sweet little note of love and encouragement in it.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Christopher is in a portable this year, but it has bathrooms and drinking fountains in it. Bret and I were both impressed with it.

I'm all for the year round schedule, too.