"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Monday, September 15, 2008

Our Adorable New Addition

Sunday, September 14th--Elise, Brady and I have been working hard on saving money for a family dog. I didn't think we'd even be close till after Christmas. I kept telling the kids they should ask Santa for a puppy and then we could use the money we saved on puppy supplies. Well, I'm so proud of the 3 of us because we saved up enough. It helped that I worked plenty of extra hours this summer and the kids were a little more willing to earn money by doing extra chores. On Saturday, the 13th, I was on KSL.com looking at the dogs listed for sale. I have been going onto this website for the last few months, getting an idea of what kind of dogs are available and prices. I found an ad for 4-month old male Shih-Tzu's for sale in nearby American Fork. I gave the owner a call and we were off to check them out. I felt prepared to know what to do with all the many pieces of advice I've received. There were cute little Shih-Tzu puppies all over the place. One in particular stood out. The owner named him "Bowie". When I held him he just gazed into my eyes. I was hooked! Elise and Brady loved the puppies and they loved them too! Nate wasn't quite sure what to think. We told the owner we wanted to think about it and go to PetSmart to get supplies. After lunch at Arby's, the kids and I convinced Nate we really needed Bowie. He gave in and I gave the owner a call to arrange for pick-up after we returned from the fair the next day. She said she would hold him.
We picked up little Bowie, who we renamed "Bohdee". All was well and he seemed quite content to be in my arms. The owner had even trimmed him and got him ready to go. Bohdee is a pure-bred Imperial Shih-Tzu and we have the paperwork to AKC register him. We were able to purchase Bohdee for a really good price.
I got Bohdee into the car and we were off, or so we thought. The car wouldn't start! It wouldn't even turn over. After an hour and a half of contacting our insurance, talking to tow companies, and arranging for a ride home the neighbors pulled up to their house and offered to jump our car to see if the problem was the battery. Sure enough, it was. PHEW! We made it home and not once did Bohdee even whimper. He spent a few minutes looking around the house and then we put him in his bed and we all went to bed.
Bohdee is such a sweet little pup! It's only been a day and he's won our hearts over, even Nates. He loves to cuddle. I hope this is the way it's going to be, for the most part. He's adjusting well and we're so happy he chose to come home with us.

3 comments:

The French Family said...

Your dog is soo cute. Both Spencer and I can't wait to get into a house so we can get a family dog.

Britt said...

Cute! Cute! Congrats on the new furry little addition.

Marissa said...

YAY! I've been checking every now and then since Sunday to catch a peek of your new little doggie. Is the imperial a bigger breed of shitzu? He looks bigger than most shitzues I've seen.