"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pioneer Day Weekend

Friday & Saturday, July 24th-25th--Elise and Brady woke up Friday morning to the Days of '47 Parade on the TV. They watched it for a while and asked many questions about various themes of the many floats. It was a great time to tell them about our rich pioneer heritage and the LDS church and it's beginnings in the Salt Lake Valley. Friday evening Nate and I hosted a BBQ for my extended family. Alishia and her family were able to come as well as Aunt Maureen and her family. We had set up tables and our pop-up awning outside but it was pretty hot so we ate inside and then all came out and soaked in the kiddie pool while we waited for the sun to go down. It was great to visit and laugh as we cooled our feet. I went overboard with fireworks (again) but it made for a great show. The neighbors also came over and let off their fireworks. We laughed again and sang pioneer-themed songs from the Primary Songbook. I took pictures that evening but they didn't turn out for some reason.
On Saturday morning we got up pretty early to make it to Nate's brother, Dustin's, house in Salt Lake. He and his wife, Crystal, hosted a breakfast and then swimming at their community pool. Dustin and Crystal put on a delicious spread of food for the whole family. It was great to chat while we ate. Then it was time to head over to the pool. The kids and Nate had a great time swimming. I was too tired to swim and, once again, didn't want to get my hair wet as we had errands to run (if you only understood my hair before you roll those eyes, people!). Elise was looking like she was ready to take her water wings off and try swimming without them. I had to her come over to the 3 feet deep side of the pool and she took the wings off and started pushing off and, eventually, she got it. I was jumping up and down, screaming cheers for her. She figured it out on her own, without lessons. It was very exciting! And just like so many other things, including riding on two wheels, it had to be in her own time, on her own terms. I was very proud! After that she was swimming all over the pool without the water wings. I made sure Nate was staying close to her. She found a pink weighted ring she would throw and then dive down in to get it. What a character!
After we left Dustin and Crytal's we traveled to RC Willey where I FINALLY was able to get a new dryer. They had great deals on washer and dryer combos so we got both. I'll be excited to get them on Wednesday and it'll be SO nice not to have a load of laundry take 5-8 hours to dry anymore. Yippee!

2 comments:

Marissa said...

WAY TO GO ELISE!! YOU ROCK!

We enjoyed spending time together.

Lindsay and Mike said...

Looks like a great time!