"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Monday, September 29, 2008

Behold, the Monstrous Watermelon Is Done!

Friday, September 26th--Yes! We gave the melon a knock to check for that "hollow" sound and sure enough, it "hollowed" at us. Nate gave Elise the knife to ceremoniously cut her melon from it's nurturing vine. We're not sure why she felt the need to put on her dirty red socks to use as gloves but it didin't matter. And, of course, because she wanted to control the entire situation we made her carry it inside too! ha HA! Nate said, "Lets put it in the fridge to chill for a while and then slice it later." I said, "Are you nuts?! Cut that bulging piece of fruit open NOW!" The rind was rather tough but he got it open. The aroma of fresh watermelon filled the air. Ooooohhh Aaaahhhhh! We let Elise take the first bite since she's the reason it even exists. She took a big 'ol bite and went, "MMMmmmmmm!" So I assumed it was a deliciously, sweet watermelon, not so! I cut a chunk next and took a bite--it tasted like the watermelon right up next to the rine, kind of sour. It seems as though it needed a little more time. It was a false "hollow"! Our original plan was to share Elise's harvest with her neighbor friends but we decided probably not. Then again, kids are crazy over sour stuff. Maybe we still will! Really, the most important thing to this whole adventure is the thrilled and excited look on Elise's face as she enjoyed the product of her efforts and love. She even planted more seeds......in a designated spot!

2 comments:

The Sutton Family said...

Hahahahaha! What a cute and funny story. I swear, Taylor is ALWAYS outside planting some sort of seed and I always tell her it's not going to grow. Perhaps she'll prove me wrong!

Oh and the 11-yr old...I'll whisper it in your ear next time I see you. I doubt you know who it is anyway...I only met him the day before the "incident". Call me lady!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Yay Elise! Quite the green thumb!