Monday, December 1st--I received a very touching Christmas story from my visiting teachers, last year. It's a story called "Teach the Children". Here is a link to the story:
http://www.llerrah.com/truemeaningofchristmas.htm
This link titles the story "True Meaning of Christmas" but the copy I received titled it "Teach the Children". I've seen a couple of versions to this story, with different symbols but I like this one the best.
Much like "The Forgotten Carols" ornament tree, I thought about making or buying the symbols and placing them on a small tree and then giving one of each of these completed trees, with a framed version of the story to family members this year. I decided not to go with the idea but figured it would be a fairly in-expensive project. The framed story would be just the story glued onto pretty Christmas scrapbook paper and then placed in an in-expensive frame (Wal-Mart has them for $2.00). If I didn't like the frame as it was, then I was going to paint it red or green and then paint over that with glitter glue (really cheap to do!).
For the ornaments/symbols I looked at a website called: www.orientaltrading.com This is a pretty popular website and they sell many different kinds of ornaments in larger quantities (assuming you'd like to do this project for gifts). I did a search for each of the symbols/ornaments and was able to find most of them at an in-expensive cost. For the ones I couldn't find I was just going to go to Robert's and see what I could find and then use one of my discount coupons--or go with the cardboard shoebox route and design my own ornament. Robert's also has in-expensive unfinished wooden boxes that would be perfect to paint and use as a storage container for the ornaments.
If this is a project you are interested in doing and need some more input I would be HAPPY to HELP you! I've got the image in my head of how it's suppose to look and I think it would be a very touching gift for any family. I had this thought that a family that received such a gift could read the story, every year, with their children and the children could place the symbols on or around their little tree then put the framed story next to it---what an amazing reminder of the true meaning of Christmas!
Jane 23
5 months ago

1 comment:
In case you didn't already know this, I've already planned to do this at our Primary Activity and bring the tree in each Sunday for the kids to be reminded. I found several versions of the story and am combining them as to what I like best. I'll have to show you the tree once I'm done!
Post a Comment