Tuesday, November 24th--Well, I started my "week of thankfuls" out with the obvious and had debated on keeping that "trend" the whole week. Today, that all changed. As I've mentioned before, I've been

working on a large project for the last couple of months. Along with Nate's brother, Dustin, and his wife, Crystal, we are donating a tree to the
Festival of Trees (click for details regarding the festival) this year. It is a "Curious George" themed tree. We have been decorating it, with the help of others (thanks SO MUCH Carly & Sharee!) and, I must say, it looks fantastic (these pictures do it NO justice!)! It's bright in colors and quite whimsical. Very child-like, which was the point. We are

dedicating the tree and surrounding items to two children,
Sadie Huish (age 6) &
Lucas Nelson (age 8 months), who both passed away this summer from different forms of brain cancer. (Click on their names to be directed to blogs their parents created on their behalf. You can see how beautiful these angels are.) Sadie & Lucas' families reside in Eagle Mountain, within blocks of each other and within blocks of my house. I've known the Nelsons for a while but hadn't known the Huish's very well, or anything of Sadie's battle with cancer, until Shannon Nelson had brought their story to my attention.....two weeks after Sadie had passed away. During this time was when Lucas was battling cancer. I read Sadie's blog and all about her journey during the 16 months she fought an incredibly tough battle. My heart was truly touched.

Shannon also started a blog all about Lucas' journey and his incredibly tough 3-month battle. Again, my heart was touched.
These children and their families are on my mind every single day. I get teary-eyed thinking about them and pray their families are able to cope and feel the comfort and love of our Father in Heaven. Also, the incredible amount of support they have from our amazing community. I wish I could have known little Sadie. She seemed like such an amazing little girl--which makes so much sense, considering how wonderful her family is. I wish I could have seen baby Lucas' big, beautiful smile in person. His family, too, is so wonderful. The stories of Sadie and Lucas have touched so many hearts and blessed a community, and so many others, with the desire to continually want to do more, to serve more, to love more, try harder to do good and be better. I don't want to ever forget their courageous fight or all of what their families have been through as well. Regardless of never knowing these two beautiful angels, they will always remain in my heart............and I am so very thankful for that.
2 comments:
The tree looks awesome! I'm excited to see it at the Festival!
Post a Comment