"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 6--Our Songs

Saturday, March 6th--Nate and I love music and many different varieties. There are several songs that bring me back to memories of the two of us together when I hear them. Here's some:

"Somebody" (Depeche Mode)--On our very first date, March 14, 1999, Nate picked me up and when we got into the car, he started it up and "Somebody" was playing on the radio. It was a great night, a spark was ignited between the two of us. From that night on, Nate decided to deem "Somebody" our song. Every time I hear it I think about our special first date. We included it in a special wedding video my MIL had done for us. It's now my ringtone whenever Nate calls.

"Standing Right Next To Me" (Karla Bonoff)--The first time I heard this song, I teared up. I actually heard it before I ever met Nate but knew that whoever my knight in shining armor would be, this would be a song that would remind me of him whenever I heard it......and it does. It's an incredibly beautiful song in lyrics and notes. It's one of the few songs I could listen to over and over again and never get tired of it. We also included this song on our wedding video.

"Fingers of Love" (Crowded House)--When I was living in Washington, Nate and I would send care packages to each other. As part of the packages I got from Nate, he would include a mix tape of songs he loves and hoped that I would love them too and think of him whenever I heard them. This song really stuck with me. I know several Crowded House songs but I had never heard this one before and just adored it right from the start. It's, uh, kind of a suggestive song, which is pretty funny that Nate would send it to me (perhaps he was preparing for the future? ha ha).

"At My Most Beautiful" (REM)--Another one of those songs I had never heard that Nate included on a mix tape for me. Once again, I've heard MANY REM songs but not this one. I instantly fell in love with it. And yep, included on our wedding video.

"Pictures of You" (The Cure)--Nate LOVES The Cure!!! I enjoy them too, not quite as much as him but this song is just a great song. When we were 1,000 miles from each other we had phone calls, emails and......pictures of each other. It wasn't everything but it got us through till the day I was able to move to Utah and we could finally see each other whenever we wanted.

"I Will Not Take These Things For Granted" (Toad the Wet Sprocket)--One of the biggest lessons a couple needs to learn is to not take each other for granted. Cherish every moment and make sure the one you love most knows it and understands it everyday. This song says all that.

"Never Felt This Way" (Brian McKnight)--Nate is not a R&B fan, and that's okay. However, I am and this is a song I heard way back my senior year of high school. I remember listening to the lyrics and hoping I would find a love I could feel this way about and vice-versa. It's always stayed with me and was one of the first songs that popped in my head when I realized Nate was the one for me.

There are more but this is already a long post so I will end with:

"The Gift" (Jim Brickman)--I heard this song a few months before Nate and I got married. In planning our wedding & reception we had talked about utilizing some of the many musical talents we have on both sides of our family. Nate's brothers played piano beautifully and I wanted my sister, Amanda, and her husband, Ben, to sing this song since it's a duet. Unfortunately, they ended up not doing it and I was sad about that but we had the handy dandy CD and were able to play the recorded version. Almost 3 years later, Nate and I went to a Jim Brickman concert. Along with a female performer, he sang "The Gift". I teared up, it was so beautiful! We got to meet him afterwards and I told him how special this song is to us. He said, "If you ever get married again, give me a call and I'll come and perform it for ya." Ummmmm, okay, Jim, no plans to get married again but thanks for the offer! he he We did joke about getting a divorce and remarry just to see if he would actually be true to his word!

Thank you, Nate, for the "gift" you give to me everyday. I'm so thankful there are so many, MANY songs that remind me of you and give me instant smiles and memories.

No comments: