"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Saturday, March 6, 2010

S.I.B.B.S. Day

Saturday, March 6th--We got an invite, a while back, for Elise to attend a workshop called S.I.B.B.S. Day. It stands for Super Important Big Brothers and Sisters. This workshop was all about learning how to be awesome, supportive brothers and sisters to siblings with chronic diseases. I signed Elise up and today was the day. I dropped Brady off at my sisters house and then we drove up to Primary Childrens Medical Center where the workshop was held. It was a 4-hour workshop with lunch included. I thought I would be with her the whole time but as soon as we checked in the volunteers said I could go and come back when the workshop was done (hooray, I got to go shopping!). Elise looked a little worried but, according to her, warmed up quickly and had a really good time. She got LOTS of fun things to bring home, including many of the things doctors and nurses use when caring for patients. She's so funny, the name tag on her shirt she put "Dr" in front of her name. From the time I picked her up to when she finally went to bed tonight she's kept the medical mask on either over her mouth or around her neck and her medical "cap". She also wore her latex gloves as much as possible. One of the things she got was a cloth doll, complete with a hospital gown! She was able to decorate it with markers and then use it to practive giving shots and bandaging up. She's been "treating" it throughout the night! I can tell she really had a great time and we'll plan on going next year too.
Elise really is a super important sister! Caring for Brady's diabetes requires a lot of our attention and I worry she doesn't always get the attention she needs. I hope she doesn't feel that way but it crosses my mind often. I am thankful she's pretty easy to please, for the most part.

2 comments:

Thorpe Family said...

This is awesome! That is great that they have programs like that! Hey, if you wouldn't mind telling me about things like this that would be great! My family and I are new to this diabetic thing and don't know about these cool little classes and things. Hope all is going well!

Marissa said...

Good to know the parent doesn't need to attend. Next year I'll sign the boys up and not worry about needing a babysitter.