"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Full Week of Thankfuls......

Sunday, November 23rd--I often express the things I'm thankful for but this week I'm going to be a little more specific, considering the Thanksgiving holiday coming up. Last week I wrote a post about my wonderful hubby, Nate. I am incredibly thankful for my kids, Elise and Brady. I think 90% of my blog posts are about them so I it's pretty obvious how thankful I am for them, even in those not-so-great moments. I love my family with all my heart, they are everything to me.
I sang in our ward choir today. We sang "For the Beauty of the Earth". I love this song. Music is amazing to me. It can make you laugh and be so touching as to bring tears as well. My mother introduced the importance of music into our family from the very beginning. Her parents did the same for their family. She played her records and 8-tracks and we'd all sing along. We knew the likes of Barry Manilow, Karen Carpenter, Bread, musicals galore, and all the hot 60's bands, by heart. My mom loves all the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals and we kids do too. Our family favorite is "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" ("South Pacific" is a close second!). We know all the songs and parts and there is rare a time that a song or line from that movie doesn't come up when we're together or chatting on the phone. I think I can thank my grandpa for a love of this movie, and music, as well. All of us sing and we enjoy it. My mom and my siblings have been a little more confident in their abilities than I. Those who can hear me in the shower are in for a real treat! ha ha ha I've enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy, teaching my kids the wonder and importance of music. They both sing and have beautiful voices. I like to make up little songs for them and eventually they begin to sing them too. They also make up their own funny little songs. I love it!
I love all kinds of music, for the most part. I'm thankful for this love and I'm thankful music exists in all its various forms.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You need to keep on Nate about the piano. Maybe, if you don't buy ANYTHING unneccessary for the next year, you can save up and get your piano for Christmas next year. Start saving some of your money and show him that you are truly serious about getting one. Tell him that Elise is at a prime age to start piano lessons. (7 or 8 is a great age to start) Speaking of music, did you want to put together a lil song or something that we could do while I'm there? Maybe a trio that you, Alishia and I could do in your ward or hers on the 28th?