"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Friday, November 28, 2008

I'm Thankful for Scents......

Friday, November 28th--I'm taking a break from decorating. I don't do Christmas decorating lightly, it's a big ordeal every year. I enjoy it a lot but it's pretty tiring. While I've been decorating I've had my awesome Christmas CD's playing and a candle on the candle warmer. I'm burning my absolute, most-favorite Christmas scent of all. It's called: Holiday Cobbler by Salt City. Sadly, and they must be out of their minds, they don't make this amazing scent anymore so I'm trying to squeeze every last fragrant bit of it out before I have to throw it away and pray they bring the scent back (I've begged and begged on their website! No luck--bah humbug!). For some reason, Holiday Cobbler, reminds me of Christmas as a child. I wonder if my mom baked something or had a similar candle she would burn, I don't remember but the scent sure brings back fond memories of Christmas-time at home. We always had a fresh Christmas tree so whenever I smell that ever-so-refreshing scent of pine, I think of how those fresh trees would fill the entire house with their scent. I loved it so much!
Scents seem to re-kindle memories, almost, on a daily basis for me. Some are good, some are bad. This summer we rented a camper and the bathroom in it did not have a very pleasant smell. To shower, I would use body wash, one of my favorites: Bath and Body Works, Midnight Pomegranate. Well, it's no longer a favorite, it just reminds me of that stinky camper bathroom!
When I went to visit my new niece, Danika, two weeks ago, she had that new-baby/hospital scent and I remembered that's how my newborns smelled.
I found a deoderant that, oddly, reminds me of fond Christmas scents too. Roses remind me of how fragrant my beautiful wedding bouquet was. Cinnamon reminds me of all the times I was nauseous, during my pregnancies. I would sniff a little and feel, somewhat, better. Flour reminds me of the times when my sisters and I would make pinatas out of papier mache. We'd use flour and water for the "glue". The smell of fresh rain reminds me of home, back in WA.
I had a teacher at UCMT that had lost her ability to smell. I often wondered how that would be to deal with. She said she missed being able to smell. I can only imagine and pray it never happens to me. In Disneyland/California Adventure, my most favorite ride is "Soarin' Over California". During the ride you can smell different scents based on where you're at in the ride. It is so cool! My sister-in-law, Wendy, and I have been on a quest to find scents similar to the ride. We've found a few through the Bath and Body Works line. (Ya know, as much as I promote that company, I should be getting some kind of payment for endorsement! I'll have to check into it!)
Anyhoo, I'm thankful for scents and the ability to smell. Please, Salt City, bring Holiday Cobbler back! PLEASE!!!!!!

3 comments:

Doney Days said...

I TOTALLY agree about the whole scent thing. The candle scent Pepperberry Wreath reminds me of Christmas as a child. I have it on my candle warmer as I write this. I love it! Also, I know what you're talking about the Soarin' scent at Bath and Body. It's Coconut Lime Verbina, right? It totally smells like the ride. I love scents because of the memories they rekindle. Great post!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Haha! I totally agree with you about scents! I am obsessed & always have some sort of scent going in my home. And, I agree with you about the smells on the "Soarin'" ride. I love when you fly over the orange fields...delicious!!!

Amanda said...

Speaking of scents... You'll never guess what I saw at Costco..
Fart sacks! Yep, you talking about different scents reminded me of our beloved fart sacks that dad so nicely bought for us for Christmas. So, when I think of scents and Christmas, I'm reminded of the infamous fart sack. OOH.. I should buy one for Dad for his birthday. HAHA!