"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds." --From "The Notebook"

Monday, November 24, 2008

I'm Thankful for My Little Bohdee.....

Monday, November 24th--I love our little dog, Bohdee. He's been with us for almost 3 months now. He's about 6 months old. He lets me hold him like a little newborn and he falls asleep. It's so sweet! He's become my little buddy. Someone once told me when a dog gets to know you and trust you his/her love becomes unconditional. I believe that. I have approached him with respect and kindness and he's given me the same, in return.
Sadly, the same is not so for Brady. Tomorrow, with heavy heart, I'm taking Bohdee to live with my sister, Alishia, in Salt Lake. Brady is having a hard time adjusting to Bohdee. We seem to think he doesn't quite understand that Bohdee is a living animal, not a toy. He is a little too rough with Bohdee and we fear Bohdee might get hurt or even worse. I can't bear the thought of that or the thought of Brady and Elise dealing with such a devistation. As parents, Nate and I have to do what's best for Brady and Bohdee, even though it hurts like crazy not to have my little buddy around anymore. As the kids are getting older and more independant, they don't seem to want to cuddle and just be held anymore. I miss that and had found it again in our little puppy.
I know Bohdee will be loved very much by my sister and her family. I pray he'll become friends with their little Shih-Tzu, Asia. I hope he'll adjust quite easily and even, as much as it hurts to say (tearing up), forget the close relationship he and I built together. We'll get to see him from time to time but it won't be the same.
Sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes, as parents, we make sacrifices that effect our own personal joys. But, I knew that even before I had children and it was something I accepted with my whole heart. My childrens happiness and well-being are more important than anything. Someday, Brady will understand the difference between a real animal and a fake one and then we can consider getting another puppy. If I'm lucky, which I doubt I will be, my sister will let us have Bohdee back. He's laying right next to me, fast asleep, and I'm already missing him.......

2 comments:

Marissa said...

I'm sorry that Bohdee didn't work out. I'm finding that homes with small children just aren't good homes for little dogs.
I'll shed a tear for you, too, and hope that Bohdee and Asia will love each other.

The Miller's said...

That's so sad :-( We had cats when we were first married. One that I was really attached to, and one that Mike was really attached to. When Adrienne was about a year old they disappeared shortly after we saw a cougar in our yard. So we don't know it but we think they were eaten. A few weeks ago we went to Petsmart to look at the little animals (partly for fun, but also because we're considering getting the kids something for Christmas...probably fish). I passed by the pet hospital they have in the store and I got a pang of sadness because that is where I used to bring out cats. Remembering comforting them when they were scared just made me miss them so much! I even had a dream last night that the one I was attached to came back after all these years! These little animals can sure leave a lasting impression on us, can't they?!